This course is a study of the Qur’an through the major events in the life of the Prophet (saws). The aim is to appreciate how Allah – through the Qur’an – supported, strengthened, consoled, uplifted and reminded the Prophet (saws) as he went about the monumental task of conveying the message of Islam.
The Qur’an, by extension, serves the same role for all of us – if we take and accept its guidance. The first part of the course is an introduction to the Qur’an, its blessings and revelation.
The second part of the course covers the Meccan revelation. We discuss the moment where the Prophet (saws) receives the first revelation. Then we study the earliest revelation – and how this guidance is so desperately needed in our lives. Then we cover the rejection of Abu Lahab and its impact. We wrap up the Meccan era by touching each surah of the era briefly, organized under topics that run across the surahs.
The last part of the course covers the Medinan revelation. It starts with a discussion of the Ansaar, the Jewish community and the hypocrites. Then we briefly discuss the Qur’an’s commentary on the three major wars fought by the Prophet (saws). We then turn to the Qur’an commentary on peace: the treaty of Hudaibiyah. We conclude the course by discussing the major topics revealed in the Medinan era.
In this course, you will,
- Increase in love for Allah, the Messenger and the Sahaba
- Be convinced of the oneness of Allah by studying the proofs for it
- Appreciate the vastness of good deeds described in the Qur’an
- Be convinced of the Day of Judgement, paradise and hellfire
- Understand how history (stories of the Qur’an) impacts the present
- Understand the role and impact of the ansaar, the hypocrites and the Jews in Madinah
- Study the most important incidents in the life of the Prophet and their explanation in the Qur’an
- Appreciate the similarities and differences between Makkah era and Madina era revelation
- Realize the need for a prolonged and consistent study of the Qur’an
Key highlights of the course:
- What Is the Quran?
- The Meccan Era
- The Beginning of Revelation
- The Preparation
- Rejection of Abu Lahab
- Features of the Meccan Revelation
- The Madinan Era
- Three Unique Communities in Madinah
- Qur’an’s Commentary on War
- Qur’an’s Commentary on
- Peace Features of the Madinan Revelation